Well, I did it. This weekend, I sent off all my Catechism gear – my 5DMII, even my Insubordinate xti, lenses, flashes, extender tubes, and extra batteries to a used camera shop to become a quote. He's sending me a check tomorrow. A role of me feels empty and a part of me feels excited. After my review of the Fuji X-T1 Graphite Silver Edition, I decided I only could not live without the mirrorless. The final nail in the bury was shooting a wedding last weekend with my typical (slow) Catechism gear and actually missing that X-T1. Then, pulled the trigger. I decided to sell it all and make the switch. Here are some tips if y'all are considering doing the same.

An Emotional Process

I began my career with a Canon Rebel kit bought from Costco almost viii years ago. Similar most "mommy togs," I bought it because I loved taking photos of my favorite subject area – my baby girl. It evolved into a career and I was able to pick up my first "pro" lens – the Canon 24-105mm f/4. After my start twelvemonth, my mom and dad who've ever supported me in all my crazy notions, decided to buy me the just released Catechism 5D Mark II and a couple of flashes. Somewhere along the style, I as well picked up a 50mm f/1.iv and that completed my kit. Elementary, zero fancy, but that kit (along with renting the 70-200mm) took me through hundreds of portrait sessions and weddings. My Catechism kit and I have been through a lot and so giving information technology all upward for something completely foreign to everything I knew and accept worked with, well, it's actually a very scary and an emotional procedure.

Used-camera-gear-2
Me and my trusty Canon Rebel xti…a loooonnnggg time agone when I didn't know how to use it

I know the Canon brand, I know the camera, I know the lenses, I know the accessories. For Fuji, I'one thousand not totally sure what lenses they have, what wink systems work with it, the right bombardment to use, etc. I'chiliad thankful I have Anthony Thurston, our product review editor (and recent Fuji catechumen), who has answered all of my questions thus far. Simply goodbyes are crude, even when it's only an inanimate object and even if you've been bored with that object for a while now. My Catechism and I have been through a lot together and packing it all upward in boxes was actually much tougher than I expected.

Where to Sell Your Used Camera Gear

There are many options when it comes to selling your gear. There isn't one selection that is a one size fits all and depending on your needs, i pick might piece of work better for you than another.

1. A Local Camera Store

If you desire the easiest option with the least corporeality of stress, selling or trading in your gear at a local camera store is a great bet. They will look at your equipment and offer yous a price for it. Y'all can negotiate or accept their offer and you walk away with shop credit or a check. You'll most likely get the least amount of money than the other options I'll list hither, but y'all can avert the hassle of having to photo it, list information technology, collect payment on it and ship it – or meet someone sketchy from Craigslist.

This is really the option I went with. I sent all my stuff to a photographic camera shop where my friend works, they paid for shipping and offered me a toll that was a bit lower than I'd promise for. I negotiated for a bit more than and we settled on a price. I got the check in the mail and it was piece of cake. Could I take gotten a college cost if I went with another option? Probably, but for me, the hassle free transaction, being able to get rid of all my equipment at in one case and having a check in hand and then I can turn around and buy my Fuji kit was worth it to me.

two. KEH.com

selling-used-gear-1
This is the online quote I got from KEH. Great.

KEH is a solid and reputable option. Many photographers trust them to requite a fair cost and y'all are able to input your equipment for a quote on the spot. You then send your gear in and their staff will inspect your gear, which takes anywhere from 7-10 business organization days and they give you a final quote. If you accept the quote, they will transport you a check or money via PayPal. If y'all don't accept it, they will send all your gear back to you gratis of charge.

KEH has a reputation for great client service. If you're in the market to buy a used lens, I hear they offer warranties and their products are in great condition. Again, you won't go as much for your gear than if you sold it yourself, but you are paying for the hassle free experience.

3. B&H and Adorama

Again, both are very reputable, only both volition offer yous lower prices than the rest. Out of all three of the in a higher place, B&H gave me the lowest offer using their online quote computer. Both companies offer complimentary shipping to have your gear shipped over and phone quotes as well in the consequence you desire to speak to a real person.

4. eBay

Yous can probably get the most for your gear using this option every bit you lot tin set up your toll minimum and let people bid to their hearts content. In that location are a few drawbacks though: you will need quality photos of your equipment (your own photos of your gear volition instill more than confidence for people who are shopping), a loftier seller rating and so that people know you are legit and yous get all the hassle of ad, listing and shipping that comes with selling on eBay. This is why I avoided eBay similar the plague. Too much effort on my function (I'm lazy).

v. Craigslist

I'thou ever leery of selling or ownership from Craigslist. I mean it has worked for me in the past; I've gotten a practically new vacuum, and accept sold bookcases, baby toys and even a car on Craigslist, but I'g ever worried about the people that I meet. There are so many stories of people getting robbed or fifty-fifty killed over Craigslist transactions. For me, that'south just not worth it, non for camera equipment. I know many people that take had lots of luck buying and selling via CL, but I didn't want to accept the chance, plus I didn't want to exist responsible for selling it all, piece by piece. Who knows how long that would take and I wanted my new camera right abroad.

My 5DII and I have seen many adventures, weddings and portrait sessions together.
My 5DII and I have seen many adventures, weddings and portrait sessions together.

6. Facebook Groups/Social Media

I've seen many people mail service most selling their gear in their statuses and as well in groups/communities specifically geared toward selling photography equipment. In that location are make specific groups, photography clubs, community college departments, shootout groups and more than. Just practise a search on Google or type in 'used camera gear' in your search bar in Facebook to see what pops upwardly. The same issues apply though – you have to go through the hassle of listing and selling and following the rules of that particular Facebook community.

A Few Tips When Selling Your Gear

These are just a few things that helped me when I sold my gear.

1. When y'all buy new gear, make sure to keep the boxes, and forth with information technology the manuals, warranty cards and all the straps, cords and discs. I kept everything and then when information technology came time to packet and ship it all out, I went to my storage unit of measurement, collect the boxes and put my gear in. Piece of cake peasy.

used-camera-gear
Y'all can't accuse me of "Gear Acquisition Syndrome"

two. Brand sure you remove all the memory cards, added paw straps, batteries, etc earlier y'all send/sell

3. Treat your gear nicely. Matthew Saville is notorious for banging up his gear, most recently letting his Nikon DSLR and Sigma lens have a little swim in the ocean. Protect your gear every bit much every bit you can. Apply a protector for your screen, make sure yous send it in for servicing, etc. Yous'll be able to command a better price.

iv. Sell at the correct time. When is the 'right' fourth dimension? Well, I'm hearing of more and more people jumping the DSLR ship for mirrorless and as companies like Sony and Fuji keep on their path of ridiculously awesome camera/lens making, information technology'southward going to become more common. If you're looking to upgrade to the next new camera trunk or lens, listing your equipment as early as possible, peradventure after the annunciation or release date, might exist a good bet. Personally, I decided to sell sooner rather than later since my camera gear wasn't getting whatever younger and rumors of the Mark Four were getting more frequent.

Conclusion

Selling my unabridged Catechism kit was both easier and more difficult than I thought information technology would exist. I did not expect that I would become so emotional most parting with it, or so fearful to try an entirely new system. Actually selling it was quite easy since I decided that it was more important for me to have piece of mind and less stress (I already have enough stress in my life) than a few hundred dollars. If you're thinking of selling your gear, what a process it is! I promise some of these tips will assist y'all in your quest.

If you lot're on the contrary end and are looking to buy used photographic camera gear, check out this commodity: HOW TO Purchase PHOTOGRAPHY GEAR WITHOUT BREAKING THE Bank.

Do you lot take experience selling your gear? Any communication you're willing to share? Feel costless in the comment section below.